Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: The old inn in Wise

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member MikeJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2007
    Posts
    3,888
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    The old inn in Wise

    What makes it so historical? I used to agree with fixing it up. Ive lived not far from it for 25 yrs and have never been able to explore it. I did buy weed in the rooms behind it before. Also how historic is our courthouse? We had some hangings there. Not knocking repairing either one of them. They just get called historic so often. We have alot more historic places in Wise County.
    GO VOLS

  2. #2
    Inactive Member LCAS_712's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2006
    Location
    Coeburn VA / Harrogate TN
    Posts
    977
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The old inn in Wise

    i really think that they should tear it down and make one intersection instead of that mess that they have.
    [img]http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg277/cfd_1623/l_718884585b96167d3016bd636fbe24c0.gif[/img]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member steer's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2002
    Location
    Bristol, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    3,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The old inn in Wise

    The Old Wise Inn was the first sheriff/policeman of Wise County's home. Which was my Great Great grandfather, Andrew Jackson Dotson.
    I think the courthouse has just been around a long, long time.. and the hangings, maybe something to do with Red Fox?

  4. #4
    Inactive Member MikeJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2007
    Posts
    3,888
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The old inn in Wise

    Steer that's pretty cool. In noway am I trying to take away from your family's heritage either. I just look at that flower garden they have made across the street from it and was wondering what a useless thing to do. It's not big enough to even have a yard sale at. They should have made a place for a farmers market or something other than a huge flower bed. Wich got me wondering about the the INN. I would hear stories about it but most were untrue and was wondering is it really that historic of a place? I would rather put money in to preserve a place with historic value. Like killing rock. You walk to it and there is a power pole planted right beside it.
    GO VOLS

  5. #5
    Inactive Member steer's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2002
    Location
    Bristol, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    3,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The old inn in Wise

    totally understood... the actual first Wise Inn caught on fire, and the version we see now is the newer.

    I look for Wise to kick into full gear with renovations of everything, and making it more "historic", the whole town.... especially with UVA-Wise officially going to a "University".... it'll finally become a more college/appealing town.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member retiredteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    853
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The old inn in Wise

    Wise received some Community Development Block Grant money to do the garden and other things in Downtown. So don't fret folks, it was not accomplished with local money. It does look better. However, I was also told that the Methodist Church wanted to purchase the property for a parking lot, so that should have been an option also. Would love the see The Inn revamped and in use again.
    You can never rise above the image that you have of yourself in your own mind."

  7. #7
    HB Forum Owner CoalMinersWife's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 27th, 2009
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The old inn in Wise

    Mike,..was thinking the same thing. There is so much money going into "refurbishing" The Inn. My memories of it,...We did have our Senior Banquet at The Inn, but most memories are the lost souls hanging out the windows watching traffic go by. I figured after all is said and done it will be a place that us "common folk" couldn't or wouldn't go to. I can see CVC (aka: UVA,..Yep,..I am "old school") putting up visitors to the chancellor of UVA and all those VIP's, but us common folks,...see it as money that could be put into a place everyone will visit. When I "explored" the place over 15 years ago,...it was in bad shape then.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •